Thread: Goodbye Baby
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I dont think Stevie is so literal with her songs. She weaves her meanings. Its pretty crass for anyone to say GOODBYE BABY after an abortion. That's insanely crazy.
Its a heartbreak goodbye song. Baby is a term of endearment and does not mean an infant.
She uses the word baby many times in songs. Is Sister Honey about honey or is it a term of endearment? Women who had abortions don't refer to it as their "baby."
I also dont think the song is about 9/11. The word tower is used and many peoples frame of reference is the twin towers. There are definitely other towers and meanings behind the word. Stevie's 80s house used to have a tower in it. It could be that tower or another one or have a fairy tale meaning. IMHO the word "goodbye" is not associated with death and being final. She mentions about being outspoken in the relationship and is saying goodbye. When someone is dying or you are dying, I have never heard anyone say goodbye. Death is final. Goodbye is not. We say bye to people everyday and its not final.

My Stevie decoder ring is out and ready for the next challenge.
Bring it!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-14-2023 at 08:47 AM..