View Single Post
Old 03-12-2022, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Exactly the point. When Lindsey says she has dried up recently, it’s a little cringe to think that she actually dried up thirty years ago. I mean, despite a few scattered cool songs, she hasn’t been operating at the level of a great songwriter in at least that long (for me personally, it’s even longer). She hasn’t written a “Sara” in forty years — and a “Dreams” or a “Gold Dust Woman” in Jesus years. Her burst of powerful songwriting energy in her mature years never arrived, and I expected it to. Her big statements as a lyricist, with all those songs that captured a generation, ended before middle age. We keep wanting her to return to the fore with an essential batch of songs, but she seems unable to funnel all that middle-age wisdom into songs that equal or exceed her earlier great work.
I'll go even further and say Stevie only had a decade of consistently great songs (1973-83). After that, it was hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yes but the point is Mike was more than willing to share tracks with her which is the weakest part of her writing alone... so she'd have tracks, she reports she's got reams of lyrics and poems from forever, and the work would be putting some of those lyrics together with Mike's tracks to come up with a melody. She's got most of the pieces already and would mainly need to spend some time putting the right bits together, and she's not even interested in that.
Be that as it may, the others have backlogs of *completed* songs. Neil alone probably has a few albums worth of unreleased songs.

Stevie's record with Mike is a little spotty. There have been some great songs (Blue Denim), mediocre songs (Freedom), and some terrible songs (Desert Angel).

The biggest issue I see with Stevie is that she insists that songs be recorded just like her demos, which is a crappy way to go about being in a band, especially one full of critically acclaimed musicians. The collaborative spirit in the making of an album is half the reason to be in a band.

THE Stephen Hopkins