View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I have a very unpopular opinion that the ONLY reason the band ever dipped back into the blues material in '87 and '18 was due to large gaps of material they couldn't do well without Lindsey. The blues material was very convenient material they could fall back on. It worked well with other guitarists/vocalists that translated well on stage with a new lineup. It had nothing to do with any sort of back to our roots mentality etc. If that material was that important to them, they would of kept more of it in the setlist in 2018.

I LOVE their blues material, but they exploit it to fill out gaps in their setlists when key members are not present. It makes for a nice opportunity to showcase their new guitarist(s) without the pressure of covering Buckingham parts.
I think you make a compelling point here, one I’d never really thought of before. I do think though that while a big part of playing the pre-Buck/Nicks material was to, like you said, help fill gaps in their concerts, Christine, Mick, and John really enjoyed bringing that material back and performing it with Mike and Neil. It showed on the last tour how much they loved playing those early songs.