View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine and Steve Winwood were pretty close, weren't they? I'm not insinuating that they were a couple but they seemed to have a great respect for one another. Winwood did work on Christine's 1984 album too. Besides whatever personal interactions Christine had with Dave, she probably heard tales from Winwood about him which only furthered her dislike of him.

I've never felt that Dave was a good fit for Fleetwood Mac. It always felt like a square peg going into a round hole. Even if Christine didn't have issues toward him, as an artist he didn't fit with the lineage of guitarists in the band. He always came across to me as someone who was a "straight ahead" guitarist. He didn't have the "feel" that Peter, Danny, Jeremy, the Bobs, Lindsey, Rick or even Billy had. I'm far from being knowledgeable about guitarists and their styles but that's how I've always felt.

Dave may have had a history as being in Traffic as well as his success as a solo artist but I don't think his name sold a bunch of tickets or albums for FM. Todd Sharp certainly didn't have a name but he would have been a better choice all around. He already had a history with those in the group sans John and his presence MAY have helped Christine change her mind about touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I dont know if this is true but I read online that some of her beef with Dave may have been connected to her friend's beef with Dave. Steve Winwood and Dave were both in Traffic and had a big falling out and could not stand each other.
You gotta love Chris with what she said. If you remember her online 1995 chat she says the new creation of Fleetwood Mac is really "bizarre". She says Dave is a fine guitar player but would not have been her first choice and he does not fit with the band. I remember at the time how harsh that sounded talking about a current member of the band. But now we know why.
Here is the chat which is fun to look back on. I love the fact she admits listening to Mystery To Me the other night and is one of her favorite albums.

https://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart106.htm