View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love Big Love! It's one of my fav songs on the album. I did like the live version, but like Landslide and Dreams - I want to vomit upon hearing it.
What was once a fresh and exciting reimagining of an old tune is now an old tune.

The Rumours band has trapped themselves by paying slavish attention to the hits. Their set was passe in 1982. They’ve had plenty of chances to reimagine it. The only moments where the formula seemed to have extended, if not entirely changed was in the 2000s, when Christine’s vacancy allowed Buckingham-Nicks to throw some album tunes from SYW into the mix. Also, on the Unleashed tour, Buckingham’s fresh take on “Tusk” was exciting. Other than this, each tour has been the same old circus act.

Even when LB’s replacements stepped in from 1987-1991, and then this last tour, there wasn’t really much of a change in approach, even with new guitarists and vocalists.

It’s sad, really. Imagine if the band had played “Tango in the Night” instead of ISA, “Everybody Finds “Out” instead of “Rhiannon” or “Dreams,” “Sugar Daddy” instead of “Overt My Head.”

I’m not disparaging the hits, which I still and will likely always love, but their live shows could have been a lot more fluid and imaginative.

Naturally, I’m not counting the Bekka-Mason tour in 1995. That was it’s own thing because it had to be.