View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 11:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think it’s actually a bit sad now that Stevie really is not capable of communicating about her friends who have passed on, people she admires like RBG, or a tragedy like Uvalde without centering herself in the story. It’s clear she doesn’t even see how odd it truly is. I don’t think she means any harm by it, but it just feels very sad to me to be that out of touch with life outside your own persona. The Uvalde statement was well meaning, but, hoo boy, it sure did take her a long time to mention the kids or anyone except herself.

Stevie remains very talented at attaching herself to current trends and boosting her celebrity that way. She probably didn’t really need to do that kind of thing before Street Angel, but since then, she’s made a point to connect herself to the younger generations (Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Courtney Love, Vanessa Carlton, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Haim etc. etc.). The quality of Stevie’s best songs and the persona she carved out for herself are timeless and she will always find younger artists who will include her.

I would be VERY surprised if Stevie is silent about Lindsey, if that comes to pass. I would expect an emotional statement centered on herself that somewhat ignores the sad and petty end to their musical partnership. I don’t think either Stevie or Lindsey has conducted themselves all that well over the course of their 60+ year relationship so I expect she has a lot of negative feelings towards him. But losing him would be losing a big part of her own story, which she would mourn.