View Single Post
Old 10-24-2023, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Oh yes, seriously NKOTB in the list makes completely sense to me. Not because You Got It reached N.3 and Little Lies or Hold Me just reached N.4, but because the New Kids were a POP phenomenom in the late 80s, while Fleetwood Mac was no longer.
Fleetwood Mac was not a teenage boy band but they released 2 very successful pop albums in the 80s yielding 7 top 40 songs. Granted songs like Gypsy are not really pop songs since it has no chorus. But Hold Me was one of the biggest songs of 1982 and Little Lies was the perfect pop song.
Fleetwood Mac got lots of flack from music critics for Mirage being so music box pop friendly. In the Rolling Stone interview in 1982, the magazine tried to stick up for them claiming many 70s rock acts were going lighter pop and mentioned some of them.
If the list is empty and dumb pop songs then yes New Kids should rule that chart. But the BEST pop songs should have to include a little bit of talent. The list is composed of Billboard's staff favorites, no? So its really just a bunch of songs thrown together that someone likes and put numbers next to them. I think some of the chart should reflect its pop success. For example they put Madonna's Like A Prayer in the top 10 and her highest ranked song. Would not Like A Virgin deserve to be in the top 10? It was #1 for 6 weeks and sort of made Madonna a superstar. Where is Olivia's Physical? The biggest pop single of the 80s? Not top 10? What about the Knack's My Sharona? It was the biggest hit of the 70s yet not in the top 10?
The list is pure rubbish. Its just someone's favorite songs. Dreams is a good song and deserves to be on the list. But to many Stevie is Fleetwood Mac so that is all they know. They could have at least shown us their Fleetwood Mac knowledge by putting Oh Diane on the list

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-24-2023 at 06:01 AM..