View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Bob was the catalyst that brought the band to the States. Its ok to say that Chris.
According to Mick (first book), Mystery was a hit in America, “and Fleetwood Mac at that point didn't mean s**t in Europe”. They had no money coming in, they had a lawsuit thing with Clifford Davies, the Fleetwood Mac name, etc. So yes, Bob was a catalyst though there were many factors that boosted the moving to US.

Bob Welch, in Los Angeles, was anxious to relocate FleetwoodMac to California. On crackling phone ransmissions, he worked to convince me we had to move closer to our all-important record company, our lifeline to our audience. He correctly saw that we couldn't win our lawsuit in England and couldn't make another record until we somehow proved who we were, and renegotiated our record deal. "We can't live on air," he told me. "We'd better get this thing going again somewhere else, or we can forget about it and all get jobs."

I got off the phone and looked around. England in winter seemed desultory, bare, and gray. I felt depressed. Finally I said, look, let's get out of England and go to America. The record company's there, and we have to tell them that we're still here, let's make an album. Neither Christine nor John was keen to do it.