View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Battle of the Dragon

I am not a big fan of Nick's mid 80s work but this song is the exception. However its the remix of the song that polishes as the gem that it is. Like many of her mid 80s demos, they drag on roaming. This was no exception. The early demos with Petty and the cheap sounding drum machine are not that great. The finished track was supposedly slated for RAL but yanked at the last minute to give to the soundtrack of American Anthem. The Chris Lord-Alge remix turns the song into a fantastic track. I never heard a remix change a song so much before. Her vocal is the same but unlike the fried rasp of her mid 80s RAL tracks, its a great vocal. The music while mostly artificial does not sound cheap. Thank goodness this remix found its way on to Enchanted. When I heard it on Enchanted I was shocked it was taken off RAL. However if you listen to the original track, it does not shine like the remixed version. I wont go as far to say that Chris polished a turd but pretty close. Its a very powerful and moving song that we assume is about fighting drug addiction? My favorite line is "I see myself remaining when all of you are gone"

When she starts the song she decided to go to the other side of the world, I thought of her Petty/Dylan tour in Australia but I think the song had to be written before that. In any event the remix brought this mostly unknown track into one of her better mid 80s songs IMHO.