View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree with a lot of what was already said here- BTM sounds more like a group album than anything they had done since Rumours, absolutely. Fleetwood Mac had 3 incredible voices, so why not let them all be heard on as many songs as possible? So hearing Stevie, Billy, and Rick on Skies the Limit is just awesome and a real joy. Hearing Christine and Stevie on In the Back of My Mind sends chills up my spine and is so much more effective. BTM is an album I can listen to from start to finish. I can’t do that on Tusk, Mirage, or Tango. I also agree Stevie comes off the worst, but at least her songs aren’t awful... just not as good as everyone else’s, that’s all. I guess I’m in the minority with my love for Do You Know, Hard Feelings, and When It Comes to Love- they’re so good with beautiful harmonies. Save Me and Skies the Limit are outstanding, so I don’t understand how they weren’t bigger hits, except that radio was changing at that time. Also always surprised Skies wasn’t performed live.
When I was in college and had no life, I lived in a small college town in PA. The radio sucked and they had this adult contemporary station that aired a Dick Clark top 40 adult contemporary songs. The only time I heard Skies the Limit on the radio was on this countdown show. I would listen every week because like most top 40 countdown shows, they provide little facts or trivia about the songs or band. Believe it or not but Skies the Limit made it into the top 10 of this countdown show. So I have remembered the little known facts about this era. For example, the band obviously was disappointed in the album sales and lack of commercial success. Skies the Limit was not originally on the album. I believe BTM was originally the opening track. But after the album was finished, the band thought the album was way too dark. It needed that Christine peppy love song. So Christine wrote Skies the Limit very quickly and it was recorded last and it was slapped as the first track of the album trying to soften the dark mood. I am not sure it worked in the end but I love Skies the Limit besides the harmonies. I love hearing Christine play keyboards and the crack of the drums are so freaking cool. Music video shot at Red Rocks. I was surprised Save Me tanked without even making the top 20. But then again we all thought As Long As You Follow would be a #1 song and it did not even make top 40. Fleetwood Mac was a washed up band in 1990. Even their Farewell Tour in late 1990 had tons of empty seats. When I saw them at the Pittsburgh Civic arena in November 1990, the entire balcony of the arena was empty. They even dropped Save Me from the set and replaced it with Say You Love me when I saw them. Stevie and Chris wore the shortest skirts of their career on this tour. I sat behind Chris and could not believe how beautiful her legs were. Skin was in. The last days of the 80's vixens.

BTW, did I mention how good Christine's keyboard playing is on this album. OMG, I wish there was a stripped down version of Save Me with ONLY her keyboards. She is on fire. She also does an amazing keyboard on Do You Know. When I would drive listening to When It Comes To Love and Do You Know in my car, I would try to harmonize with Chris and Billy. Of course I ruined the song every time but I did not care.

Also, as much as Stevie tried to hint Madonna stole her look, Stevie stole Madonna's look by sporting a crucifix in Save Me. Honey, you were about 4 years too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1VPIanDlw

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-31-2021 at 03:01 PM..