View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Just because Rumours sold 25 million doesn't mean it was the best MUSIC that Fleetwood Mac ever produced. If so, then wtf happened with Tusk, Mirage etc...same 5 people, same 3 writers...Rumours was a fluke, a God damned fluke...and a scourge put upon us Fleetwood Mac fans from prior to its release. I f***ing HATE Rumours with the same passion that apparently many FMac fans **** upon Time. I'd love to have some sort of FlashForward machine, put everyone to sleep for 2:17 and erase Rumours and the whole Rumours phenomenon from everyone's memory & reality...THEN we'll see what Fleetwood Mac albums people gravitate to.

A-friggin'-MEN!!!!
Well, I would consider myself one of those people who actually despised Rumours when it first came out (too blatantly "pop" for my eight-year-old ears). I didn't enter the fold until after Bella Donna, so I backed into Rumours retroactively after a long time of not caring for it at all. And admittedly, save for "The Chain" and Christine's songs, I still don't much care for it today, even though I can appreciate it as an incredibly solid piece of work overall. So not being a huge fan of Rumours, I still think Time blows chunky soup by any measure (again, with the exception of Christine's songs). There are non-BN albums that I adore- Future Games, Mystery to Me, Bare Trees, Then Play On, so I don't think it's fair to say that BN fans will only like BN-in-FM albums.

Regarding the issue of promotion, I do agree that Time was not promoted at all. Even I, as a diehard fan for the longest time, didn't know it even existed until six months after it was released, when I found it in the cut-out bin at a record show. I honestly thought it was a bootleg at first! Way to go, WB! But I honestly don't blame them- why throw good money after bad trying to promote this... thing?