View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
MacFan, wasn't that the "wall of sound" Thrown Down? I really like it and although Lindsey did a nice job on Say You Will, I would've been happy had it appeared on TISL and been the lead single. It's great and would've done at least as well on the charts as Rooms On Fire. This would've made a hard pass and solid NO on Everyday, a terrible song that drags the album down. Also, some Hard Advice was in order around that Made Me Stronger, "Stevie, tear that page out of your journal and let's pretend it didn't happen" and go out and buy that doll

As well, Space Needle had real potential, along with the gorgeous Call on Me for Magic and My Heart being passed on, and Touched by An Angel was pretty as well. In other words, TISL needed a few more pretty songs to smooth out some of the vocal and musical rough edges that are hard to listen to.
I am not a fan of her flat vocals but I tried not to be so harsh. I dont have an issue with her writing, its the music and musical direction that disappointed me so much. Sheryl is talented but I dont know if she was creating a stripped down album to be more musically appealing to the masses?
If you recall, Stevie performed the song Fall From Grace at the Blockbuster Awards. Yes, I said Blockbuster Awards.....makes you feel old and demonstrates how old the album is since Blockbuster has not existed for many years. Anyway, I heard Stevie or Sheryl say they picked this song to perform because they wanted to catch the audience by surprise and really rock. I laughed when I heard that. The song is uptempo but hardly a rocker. But that makes my point about the album. If Fall From Grace is your biggest rocker then its not much of a rock album. The song does not even have a guitar solo (I dont think). Its just sung fast.

If you ever did believe and Crystal are far superior to anything on this album IMHO. I just dont know how to describe it. Are the songs over produced and boring? Or are they too much in demo form and need some polishing.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-05-2021 at 05:11 PM..