View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Maybe, but I far prefer Mirage to Tango. Tango is plastic and sterile. It doesn't sound like a band. And live, Mirage is the last time they were a band, before the backup singers and additional players.
Its not even a fair comparison....apples and oranges. Mirage was a total band performance with real instruments on every track. Tango was sort of a more commercial version of Go Insane....a slick, trendy modern Lindsey solo album. There are moments where Tango shines and you can hear the band but sadly those moments are rare. Just imagine everyone off drugs and devoting all hands on deck. Lindsey was always fascinated with cutting edge sort of sound so the band's lack of direction, he sort of seized the direction of the album. But no doubt everyone wanted a huge commercial success which also explains the radio friendly synth pop sound of much of Tango. Mirage is not experimental like Tusk but its a completely cohesive sound. It needed a few moments of rawness but the Tusk blowback was in full effect.
Only Over You is a gem. It was always my least favorite song on Mirage from about 1983-1997. Its pure perfection.... dreamy hypnotic lullaby with some fantastic Mick/Lindsey/John/Chris playing. It has a vintage Mac quality. Its also a very classic Chris tune with her singing her devotion to a guy but you get a line about the dark side. "They say I'm a silly girl, but I'm not a fool" Very similar to "If you use me again, it will be the end of me" and "your mood is like a circus wheel, changing all the time. Everything else about those songs is pure love devotion but she always gets her line in about the guy not being perfect in any sense. Only over you is just overdosing on overdubs and sometimes you just have to soak it all in. When you first hear the song, you dont know where its going. Once you have heard the song several times, you appreciate the direction it goes and it has a wow factor. Indeed Mirage was an end to an era and the band NEVER made another cohesive and inclusive album again with these 5.