View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Maybe, but I far prefer Mirage to Tango. Tango is plastic and sterile. It doesn't sound like a band. And live, Mirage is the last time they were a band, before the backup singers and additional players.
I agree with you- while I think the four Tango songs I mentioned, plus Seven Wonders, are stronger than anything on Mirage, Mirage as a whole is more consistent. I dislike Family Man and When I See You Again, and think You and I, Caroline, and Tango are just ok. On Mirage, the only songs I dislike are Empire State and Oh Diane. Otherwise I can listen to Mirage straight through, and as you said, they sound like a band. Not so much on Tango. But Christine’s growth and confidence as a songwriter from Mirage to Tango is truly impressive. It’s unusual to see someone grow so much as a writer later in life… the opposite of Stevie, whose songs tended to be less memorable as she got older. Although in all fairness, Stevie has released a lot more material than Christine, and the more material out there, the less memorable it may be.