Old 06-27-2022, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
My thoughts on this collection:

Hate the changes to “Friend.”

Like the changes to “Sweet Revenge” and “Easy Come”

LOVE the new amped up version of “The Challenge,” which doesn’t take anything away from the original.

LOVE the two “new” songs and, well, they are my most frequent listens.

HATE this Songbird, HATE this Northern Star, and dislike this “Giving It Back”

No strong feelings about this version of “Ask”—which is quite close to the original—though I question why Mick’s drums were swapped out. Was that necessary?

Bottom line: the only three essentials in here for me are “Slow Down,” “All You Gotta Do” and “The Challenge.” I won’t be forgetting the original albums from which most of these songs came.
I agree with all of that.

Friend was perfect in its original form. It almost seemed like a desperate idea how they start the song as if he knew it was perfect so what can we do?

The Challenge is definitely the winner of the remix on the album.
The new songs are really good.

I am sad that Love Will Show Us How did not make the album because I have said since 1984 the song was just a remix away from a big hit. Add some bouncy keyboards and drumming and turn up the guitars a bit.

Oddly enough Songbird is the miss of the album called Songbird. I got "so excited" when I heard Songbird was going to be used with an orchestra. But this is a miss for so many reasons. The music does not seem to go with the song. It's clear the music was just layered in with the singing. It would have been nice to actually hire an orchestra and have them develop the music and then play it live with the singing and record it. But I guess that would cost too much money.