View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I work in Infection Control Education and Sales. So, needless to say, my job exploded at the beginning of March. I worked 9 straight weeks without a day off. 14 of the 20 positions across the country, that are like me, were put on furlough. Which meant the 6 of us left over covered everyone else’s territories.
My husband was in rural France when there was the first rumblings of closing the borders and airports. His company got him up in the middle of the night, told him to get on a train to Paris and catch the first flight to Montreal. He made it home just as the flights were all being cancelled.
He self isolated at home for 2 weeks, then stayed and worked from home for another 6 weeks.
Our school spring break was scheduled for end of March, and needless to say, with that being shut down, it really helped with our COVID19 numbers. People were not traveling anywhere.
Also, our provinces population did a really good job at staying home, wearing masks and staying safe. We’ve only had 325 cases, and 7 deaths so far. We don’t have huge populations, and it helps that our large cities are relative islands. And the cities are very spread out, not stacked upwards like some big centers.
Our kids are all in university, all over Canada. They all moved home and continued with self isolating and courses online. All classes next year for the entire school year, from their universities, have moved to online. Except for one in Vet school who has to go back because of practical work. They will change the way that’s done in the coming year, limiting number of students and as always, mask wearing.
The students, if they didn’t have summer jobs that were continuing, they were eligible for CERB (Canadian Emergency Relief monthly payments). Anyone effected was elegible, no matter the age. It came very quickly, esp if you had already applied for unemployment insurance.
It’s been crazy, and quiet, all at the same time. The dogs are really fit and trim from all the walks.
Now, I’ve moved to our cottage and just work from there. It’s an island, so quite isolated. I feel the isolation now more than before. After 16 weeks, I appreciate more than ever though, the hard work that is going into 2020.