View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
How was the show marketed at the park? Were there posters with the new-line up with their names added advertising the gig? It might have been a bit misleading otherwise to the casual, unknowing punter. But no-one surely could have expected the Rumours five, or even four of them.

I wondered who the folks who turned up at the 1993 Superbowl pre-show were expecting, particularly after the Clinton innauguation ball. That was after all, the one occasion when Chris played live with the band post- 1974 without either Stevie or Lindsey.
That Great America show was my first-ever Fleetwood Mac show. When that lineup broke up a few months later, I figured for a while it'd be my *only* one!

Anyway, I remember it was advertised in the newspaper in a small box in the corner, in between Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon, but no mention of who was in the band at that point. (I really only knew because of newsgroups and such back then.) At the park, there was a poster with an updated shot of the touring lineup (minus Steve Thoma) outside the amphitheater entrance, but no names at all. A couple people in front of us in line were lamenting the fact that FM had "no originals" at that point (Mick and John notwithstanding), but they did go in anyway...

In hindsight, it was a fun show, if not ground-breaking. FM was the middle act, after Pat Benatar (who was great), and we left a few songs into REO. Having seen the BN-based lineup three times, I can see what people realized they were missing, but I still think Billy's GYOW ranks up there with Lindsey's modern-day version (guitar solo aside).