Thread: The Upside
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
thanks for bringing us "Welcome To The Room...Sara" when we could've had "If I Were You" or "No Spoken Word", etc, etc.
Is it really reasonable to blame Stevie for using "If I Were You" or "No Spoken Word" (or *any* song that someone deems to be stronger than those she contributed to 'Tango') on her solo album, at a time when a new Mac album was merely a possibility?

Was she really supposed to say, "well, ok, since Fleetwood Mac might record again someday, I should save this one, and that one, and oh, I better save that one too."

When Fleetwood Mac decided to record a new album in the middle of 1985, Lindsey could mine the album he was working on, and give over to Fleetwood Mac the songs he felt were the best, because his album was a work in progress.
Stevie's album was a done deal by that time.

(By the way, Lindsey wrote "Soul Drifter" during the recording sessions for 'Tango In The Night'... while the band was in the other room, in fact.
So, by the "Stevie saved the best songs for herself" logic, was Lindsey wrong for saving "Soul Drifter" for *his* solo album, since it's a stronger song than "Family Man"?)

Another thing to consider... even if Stevie *had* saved "If I Were You," for example, it doesn't mean that Fleetwood Mac would have definitely recorded it.

It seems to me she has given Fleetwood Mac first dibs on many great songs over the years ("Think About It," "Sorcerer," "If You Ever Did Believe," "Beauty And The Beast," "Smile At You," "If You Were My Love," etc., etc., etc.), and they passed over them again and again.
It's obvious that Fleetwood Mac chooses the songs they want to use for their albums, and not necessarily the songs that *we* might feel they should have chosen.

Personally, I feel that "When I See You Again" IS one of Stevie's greatest songs. It's been a personal favorite of mine for years... and I can easily say that I prefer it over "No Spoken Word."
So, more than anything, it's a matter of "you can't please all the people all of the time."

Now, I'm not someone who feels that everyone should adore every single thing Stevie Nicks has ever done, sung, said, or written... but this current wave of "Stevie is the Anti-Christ" sentiments really boggles my mind.

Do people honestly feel that she should have never recorded an album of her own, and spent the rest of her career sitting next to a phone waiting for Fleetwood Mac to call?
Letting dozens upon dozens of songs just stack up, but never daring to use them in case Fleetwood Mac wanted to maybe record them someday?

Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-28-2002 at 01:41 AM..