View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
There has never been a great male singer in Fleetwood Mac's 54 year history. When they do the greatest singers in rock lists no guys from Fleetwood Mac are ever on there.
I disagree. While you’re right that no male singer ever makes the lists, I wouldn’t hold this up as a measure of greatness or lack thereof. In my opinion, FM has had two excellent male singers of very different character: Peter Green and Lindsey Buckingham. At their respective peaks, both effectively maneuvered very well in their ranges and often delivered exciting and emotional vocal performances. Neither were bland or forgettable singers. Lindsey Buckingham is a forerunner of Keith Urban—the perfect blend of country rock/pop. He’s also a great harmonizer. Green’s vocals are entirely in their own category, a kind of homely, masculine tone that communicated loneliness and heartbreak as well as any of the far more famous singers of his time. A one of a kind voice.

For what it’s worth, Christine McVie has one of the most original and unusual voices in popular music and she never makes the lists either. Yes, she has had persistent pitch problems in some live shows and yes, she’s incapable of wailing. But her voice is truly unique.