View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I'm shocked that you never saw that before. Stevie is one of the few people ever to sing live on Solid Gold. I give her props for that but its probably because she is such a bad lip syncer which I am ok with.
Stevie also performed Nightbird Live on Solid Gold in early February 1984 (not 1983 as this video says). I remember watching both performances in real time. Ok here is a funny story about the Stand Back performance which was late 1984. They called it a "classic" and it was not to promote the song like Nightbird. It was Saturday and we lived near one of the largest shopping malls in the country and you could hang out all Saturday at the mall as a teen. I knew Stevie was on Solid Gold that night and wanted so much to stay home to watch it. I was in my peak cult worship days. But my friend's dad was going to the mall that Saturday night and taking all my friends. What was I going to do? Stay home and watch Stevie or miss out on the Saturday night mall experience. Then I had an idea. The mall has many stores that sell TVs. I could go to one of those stores and watch it there. Sure enough I found a way to sneak away from my "metal head" friends and go to Sears and turn on all the TVs in the electronic section to watch Stevie. I had the best of both worlds

Back to Brad.........he really has so many stories to tell with so many stars. My favorite was being at Stevie's house watching the Stand Back video music premier on MTV on a sofa between Prince and Stevie. OMG When I see that Solid Gold performance it brings me back standing there at Sears watching it on TV.

Have you seen the Solid Gold Nightbird? Nightbird hit its chart peak in early 1984 at #32 just as Got A Hold On Me was breaking on the charts. For one week, they were back to back...Nightbird at 32 and Got A Hold On Me at 31. This Nightbird performance was recorded just weeks after the late December 1983 SNL performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2ty18YFBQ
Thanks for the link! Amazingly enough, I’ve seen the SNL performances of Stand Back and Nightbird, but not the Solid Gold ones. I say amazingly because SNL performances are extremely difficult to find on YouTube. I think I had avoided Solid Gold clips because I thought they were always lip synced. It’s so cool that Nightbird and Got a Hold on Me were back to back one week- got to be a first for FM. But Christine and Lindsey didn’t record as much as Stevie then so not many opportunities for that to happen.

Very clever how you were able to watch Stevie AND still go out that night to the mall. Try telling that story to a kid now LOL (“what’s Sears? What’s a mall? What’s Solid Gold?”)