View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm pleasantly surprised how little electric guitar the new album has. I hear just 3-4 songs with it. Does "Power Down" have it? "Dancing" "On The Wrong Side" and "Swan Song" do. And I hear just two songs with electric guitar solos (the latter two).

In fact, there is arguably just one other song with a guitar solo at all: "Blind Love," which contains a repeated acoustic figure over which Lindsey does some wordless singing (arguably a solo, arguably not).

I'm stunned he didn't release "Santa Rosa" as the lead single. To my ear, it's a classic and far and away the best song on the album – second best being "Dancing," which I also enjoyed in its previous incarnation "Treason."

I'll also say I find wholly unlistenable "Scream" – with its bell sound so tortuous it warrants a firing squad.

my current ranking of his solo albums:

1. Out Of The Cradle (fantastic songwriting, marred only by some poor use of drum machine that I chalk up either to Lindsey improving at the craft by the 2000's, his abandoning it by then in favor of hand percussion, or the technology greatly improving)
2. Under The Skin (my kind of album)
3. Gift Of Screws ("Wait For You" should have gone on SYW or at the very least on Solo Anthology)
4. Seeds We Sow
5. Lindsey Buckingham
6. Law And Order – The two best songs–"Trouble" and "Shadow Of the West"–are great, but start-to-finish I rank the new album higher.
7. Go Insane – Again "Slow Dancing" and arguably the title track are stadnouts (though the live acoustic "Go Insane" draws the greatness of even that one into question), but the remainder IMO is awful.

Last edited by cbBen; 01-17-2023 at 12:41 PM..