View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think that everyone that ever left the band, left because of Glenn. I think he was horrible, selfish person. I mean, I'm sure they wouldn't have had the success they had without him, but watching behind the scenes footage, I think he was a first class PRICK(even though he mellowed in later years - just like Lindsey). It was HIS way or the highway. I also think he was INCREDIBLY JEALOUS when Don became "the voice" of the Eagles. "It's MY BAND, you dick!!!"

I saw Henley solo several times back in the day. I never saw Glenn solo. What does that tell you?
Henley's like Christine. I could listen to him sing the phone book.
I never cared for Glenn's solo career as much as I liked his work with the Eagles. Henley made incredible solo albums.
I take a little issue with you calling the Eagles corporate rock. The Eagles actually got panned by many people claiming their original sound would never attract a following. They were not enough country or not enough rock or they were too folksy. Remember the term California rock in the 70's? They almost had their own category of music. They also did not follow traditional methods. No one thought Hotel California could ever be a single because the intro was too long. Yet they did it anyway. No one thought New Kid in Town could be a single because it was too damn long. Yet they made it happen. IMHO the Henley/Frey team is just as good as Lennon/McCartney. The story behind Desperado is quite amazing how Glenn kept pushing to make it happen. Just because the Eagles were successful at their craft does not make them corporate sell outs IMHO.
The addition of Joe Walsh was icing on the cake. Not only did they rock more but the dynamic of him playing with Felder was out of this world.
I will even say The Long Run is a better album than Hotel California. Or its just as good. Its an entire package just like a Rumours album. Its impossible to just take one song off that album. Its a cohesive masterpiece.
I love the story of the early days when Glenn Frey and Bob Segar were in a bar listening to a rock band. Glenn was so blown away with the band and told Bob he expected they would make it big. Bob told Glenn they would never make it. When Glenn asked why, Bob explained it was because they had no original songs. You cant play other people's music and must write your own songs. Glenn said "But we write such crappy songs" Bob said of course but you keep writing and they will get better.
I love that story because it shows how talent is sometimes hidden and you never know how good you are at something unless you keep doing it over and over.

About cocaine. I heard Don Henley say once that they really thought cocaine was a magic drug because when they got into it their careers took off and it made them more creative. But they soon realized that was a short term thing. They are one of the few bands who drugs did not break up the band. They all sort of got off drugs on their own without letting it affect their performances which is pretty rare for the 1970s and 1980s.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-02-2020 at 06:47 AM..