View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Richard talked about doing the live sound on his online chats with fans. He put up some pics of himself at the sound board. Not sure it would have been him on their first tour, but def for Rumours and Tusk.
Well Richard was doing Front Of House(FOH), not monitors.

In a chat with Bob Welch years ago, I asked him if in the early days, they had a separate monitor board and guy running it, and he said they did. He said it was usually just a roadie running monitors(which gave me the impression that it wasn't a REAL monitor guy...maybe just their guitar tech or someone doing it). I was kind of surprised(you CAN run monitors from front of house - but the biggest challenge is that the performers can't make eye contact with the FOH guy, showing them what they want changed - instead, they'd have to ASK for it over mics), because in the early Bob Welch days, I wouldn't have thought they'd have been doing big numbers. Bands don't usually hire monitor guys until they're making bank. I've made most of my living doing the up and comers. Sometimes they even have a couple hits, and haven't made the step yet to "full blown production". I've done Miranda Lambert, John Mayer, Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, and many more. It's a thrill catching them on their rise.