View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad I didn't go to see them at Wembley...if they had played a smaller venue here in the UK and the really deep cuts (Hypnotised, Tell me all the things you do and All Over Again spring to mind) had survived in the set by then, and Man of the World had made its entry by then I might just have been regretting not going, but with the general shallowness of the Stevie-centric audiences, that was not going to happen. Kudos to the band for at least having the cojones to try wheeling them out to a crowd, 95% of which would be going "wtf?".

On the plus side, it's still the Mac. I kind of liked some of the different guitar licks that Mike Campbell brought to some of the familiar tunes. Neil Finn's voice occasionally sounded quite Lindsey-esque but he's too much of a talent to be a surrogate for him. I would have physically choked on irony were I at a gig where he sang "Someone has taken my place". Mick and John are still great together, but Christine sometimes struggled. A couple of new songs (an album would still be interesting to hear but I'm not holding my breath) would have cemented the new line-up a little in my mind.

I suppose rows and splits form this band's DNA, but it all feels like an unsatisfactory end, if that is indeed where we are now at. There's very little time left to keep going forwards but looking back. Personally, at least I have the memories of the 2015 tour, and the lineup that I waited 28 years to see since becoming a fan..