View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
And then there is the poster that Clifford put up, advertising the NEW Fleetwood Mac, featuring Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie. So I am not sure what was going on there. Mick says in his book, "we saw what was going but we just sort of let it happen to ourselves" [not exact quote].

Clifford Davis HATED Bob Welch. Comments he made in Bob Brunning's book make that clear. But I suspect even Clifford knew replacing someone entirely unique to the scene like Christine or someone with such visual flair as Mick would make things difficult. The band would move from a group of people with personality to a collection of highly competent professionals. I suspect Davis thought he could strong arm the group into the fold by getting the ball rolling without them. Then, with their tails between their legs, they would come back. To this end, maybe Mick felt initially he had no choice but to give Davis some commitment, however tenuous.
There's an interview with Dave Wilkinson, who played keyboards on the "fake" Mac tour here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-5yiZYzgc&t=1618s

He makes no mention of Mick's supposed involvement. I suspect that on the basis of the settlement of the court case with Clifford Adams and the "real" Mac, people had to be pretty circumspect about what they said. In media interviews Mick has always steadfastly denied any involvement, but that's a different scenario to a court deposition. I can recall him saying something along the lines of "we agreed to disagree".

For what it's worth, and it may not be much, given that his book was so poorly written, I can recall that in Bob Brunning's book, Brunning claimed that either Bob Welch or Christine had returned their shares in Fleetwood Mac, or something to that effect.

I would really be interested to see those "court papers from the 1970s" myself!

Yeah, Aleuzzi, "callousness" is a good fit. I wish Oscar Wilde had thought of that...