Thread: Heart of Stone
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieforever View Post
It's absolutely her! But l too have always been puzzled by when it was recorded. To me, it sounds like it was recorded at the exact same time as "As Long as You Follow." Listen to the last minute or so of both songs and you can hear Stevie singing exactly the same way on both. Is it possibly that like with Stevie's two songs she did for "Greatest Hits," with "Paper Doll" being held over for the box set, that Christine did two as well and "Heart of Stone" was a hold over from 1988 also? Any thoughts?

Regardless of when it was recorded, it is one of my absolute favorite Christine songs ever!! I was so happy to see a thread dedicated to it and just had to join in!
I can see the similarity in sonics but there’s no way the band would have let “Heart of Stone” languish for years while they cut MASK and tried to prove to the world they were still relevant sans Buckingham. The song is just too strong, too good. But the producer for it and “Love Shines” is one and the same. So for me the only mystery is why Stevie sang on one but not the other. I suspect it’s because they knew they were doing a promotional video for Shines and if she sang on it she’d have to be present for it—something Stevie at that time was not at all on board with doing. Or maybe the decision was purely aesthetic. Stone sounds better because she’s on it. Shines sounds better because she isn’t.