View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don’t see him doing a new song because profiling a new song isn’t really the purpose of appearing on this TV show, is it? Seems more like an opportunity to make a televised appearance, period. In that light, I would say that he may do one of his own better-known numbers or duet with a finalist on something that is a little trendier.

The whole thing is more than a little odd because the American Idol audience is not Lindsey’s demographic. Quite frankly, I don’t think any fan of that machine-tooled show even wants to see him at all.

How does a stint on Idol serve his legacy? He’d be better off working with David Byrne on the music for a theater show, for example.
I don’t think his appearance on AI has anything to do with his legacy- it’s just a way to get his name in the public eye. Between getting fired from FM and his recovery from a heart attack, Lindsey has been in the news pretty much more than ever, so good for him for taking advantage of the goodwill. And while I totally agree AI is not the demographic audience for him, that’s actually another good reason to do the show- exposure to a younger crowd who may have no clue who Lindsey Buckingham is until they hear the opening chords of Go Your Own Way. Then they’ll make the connection. Working with David Byrne wouldn’t get him near the amount of publicity this one night gig will get him. Besides, do you really see LB and DB collaborating equally on a musical project? I can’t see why anyone would fault him for doing a show like this, mainstream as it is.