View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I've never heard that, even though Henley talks about it in History OTE.

Petty, and I'm sorry, but Steely Dan wasn't "a" man. I HATE it when people say about FM, "oh yeah, I like him". Him? Who TF is him?
I was talking Steely Dan as a band, not a man. That's the point Henley was making. They did not want to be so obvious and name Walter Becker. It was a joking retaliation since they were mentioned in his song. But it did frustrate the Eagles that Becker did not like the Eagles and it drove him nuts that his girlfriend liked them.

A similar situation but just way obvious is when Lynyrd Skynyrd mentions Neil Young in Sweet Home Alabama.

The line “They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can’t kill the beast,” is a reference to the band Steely Dan. Both bands were represented by the same manager, Irving Azoff, for a period of time and a healthy competition began between the two bands. Steely Dan made a reference to The Eagles in their song ‘Everything You Did’, so The Eagles took a shot at Steely Dan in ‘Hotel California’.

Speaking of Irving. He sort of broke up the Eagles insisting Frey and Henley get paid more than the other members which was one of the claims in Felder's lawsuit. But we can also say Irving broke up the Mac with Stevie firing Lindsey. I would love to know if during Mirage how much more Irving insisted Stevie get paid and I am sure when Lindsey left in 1987, her percent went up even more. I would love to know the percent. We would probably freak out. Imagine Stevie getting 40% of tour proceeds

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-19-2020 at 03:21 PM..