View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
Now with a closer look at the book there's yet something I have to criticise - why some pics are featured twice or even three times is quite beyond me. Apart from that, the sheer mass of photographs is truly amazing. And there's actually the odd one out where John "Grumpy" McVie even raises a hint of a smile!

But while some pics are inexplicably shown repeatedly, there are others that can only be seen in the small b&w contact sheets "bookending" the 160 pages. Just one example: There are some photographs of J.T. Brown and Jeremy Spencer shaking hands on that historical meeting - and not one of those is featured in the book! Now that's what I call a glaring omission. And there are more . . . that's a pity!

Nevertheless - all in all - it's a great book. . . hardcover, dust jacket, good paper and a topic I never dreamed of to be presented with in a book at all (let alone that extensively). There's the odd interviewee / contributor where I can hardly see something like competence. But forget it - I can't help loving it!
yes i got mine 2 days ago and there do seem to be repeats of some pics. but it's really a beautiful book!! better than what i was expecting, to be honest.

and yes john does look sad, bored or grumpy in most pictures lol. i recall in some old interview he said he didn't really feel comfortable there because he felt as if the older blues guys had the attitude of 'whitey playing the blues' towards these young British boys. and they really were all so young, i think john was the oldest at 23, right? i guess eventually their talent won the older guys over... but John personally may have felt insecure, and nervous, and not especially happy to be there...and that kind of is evident in the pictures.

but the book is gorgeous!!

Also here's a link to article about the photographer and sessions
..kind of interesting.

https://music.newcity.com/2023/01/20...thing-on-film/

--Lis

Last edited by Penguin Emeritus; 01-23-2023 at 06:18 PM..