View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's great, not really OTT at all. The fingerpicked chord changes in the verses of Say Goodbye are beautiful, and quite simple to play. The chorus is much more tricky, but ok after a bit of practice. For LB this song must have been a piece of cake!

Red Rover is a totally different story though...haha....I've had a lot of trouble trying to get my head around some of his interviews where he's described the approach he took in recording the song. I think the fact that he said in rehearsals they were trying to get 4 guitarists to play different parts in perfect time (or else the song would fall apart) sums up how musically complex the song is. I think if he (or anyone else for that matter!) ever tried to do a "one man, one guitar" version of the song, it would require a total musical makeover...i.e. a la Big Love. The way it stands now, I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to play it on my own and make it sound anything like the CD...I think that would be physically impossible. However, as a studio masterpiece...it's still a great song, and extremely original.

He's a master of fingerpicking and a great producer.....so, hey, if ya got it, flaunt it!lol!