View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default performing regularly

I can not hope to speak for all musicians but I am going to try to give some insight into people I have been around. As you get older there are many more issues that you have to deal with on a mundane level before you even consider touring regularly. I know a few very good musicians in their 60s who just don't have the will ore desire to live on the road. Why is it that there are so many songs written about being on the road so long and wanting to get back home....from 20 year olds.

There are very few people with the temperment of, lets day, Richard Thompson, if you look at their tour schedule is in the range of 250 dates a year. He says he lives for the road and would be a fair vendor in a circus if he was not a performer because he loves the gypsy life. BB King also lives for the road even at his age.

Would you say that eric clapton has the same schedule now? Actually look at how few dates he actually plays. A lot of local talent who make their living doing this do not have the luxury of making the choice no matter what physical or mental shape they are in. I am not yet 59 (close though) and it is all I can do to get myself together for playing four nights a week with my wife and still have a sane life. And I donot have the burdens of "legend" status nor the expectations waiting for me when I go to play. I can just imagine what Peter must be experiencing every time he goes out. God bless him for being willing to do it at all.

doodyhead, mel and vinnie