View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I can certainly imagine that that's what it will be like, here. My town is, quite literally, a liberal OASIS, in a sea of redneck mediocrity. We always say, go 30 miles in any given direction, and it's a different world! A scary world.
I can't wait to get me some TJ's!

I do worry, somewhat, about what it will do to all of our already existing healthfood/international markets that we have(and we have quite a few for a town of only 100K). Obviously, the weaker ones will fail. UGH! My favorite one, is directly across the street, from the location where TJ's is going in.

I almost feel a Walmart analogy coming to mind. Company comes in, and does everything better(not) and cheaper than anyone else can do, and runs everyone else out of business.
I'm still excited about TJ's, but the possible ramifications just crossed my mind.....
TJs does carry some quas-international fare (veggie dumplings, curries, pad thai, etc.), but it's hardly enough to replace a real ethnic grocery. They don't carry soba noodles or seaweed. The reason why TJ will not run other businesses out of business is that their selection is very, very limited. For example, you really will not find cleaning products, cosmetics and many toiletries there (although they do carry Tom's of Maine products). TJ does excel in terms of baked deserts, breads, snack food, cheese, frozen burritos (??) and coffee.