View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Registered

Default Is this valid? Politics not my forte

I may exceed my record of 'delete' posts. Forgiving sorts, I know exist here may need to- and any with no interest in politics, please spare yourselves. Ledge mega-minds, I know I'm in over my head, but I just felt like asking about something other than favorite album covers, though that is fun. I know my few strengths, and politics isn't one. I nearly function there, if at all.
I lied, when I said I was swearing off long Ledge writings. I once wrote I don't lie, but I am a liar. Didn't mean to lie. Now 39 hours with no sleep- not intentional debauchery, but a malfunction, with a feverish little mind not shutting up for one second, even. 40 hours now that I'm spell-checking.
At times, wiser, more informed people here write about politics, and I try to improve my mind and read it all. I feel unqualified, I am very late to the game, my Prague origin shouldn't matter, but I have used as an exuse- I am an American, and have been uninformed politically for too long. Ideas and ideals exist under the surface, and I am thinking a lot of racism, sexism, elitism, and rich democratic soapboxing that is every bit 'Republican' as the Republican party itself.
I think of my half-Japanese nephews, their father's pride in 2008 showing his and my sister's sons how much progress the US has made by himself and other forward thinking Americans of mixed cultural backgrounds electing Obama, and wonder, what about Hilary Clinton?
I can't structure this well - Was thinking- was a nation lead astray by one Oprah Winfrey, who somehow had the power, influence, and millions of her billions of dollars to back Obama-- first by cornering the housewife market, and by having a built in black vote support and using her celebrity to all but promise people progress was being made by this man she showcased as someone almost supernaturally possessed of the need to be elected? No right thinking American could not vote for him was the way I viewed the program I saw of OW endorsing him when Hilary was the expected candidate.
What the hell, when in fact, it seems now very possible that someone so lacking in qualification was elected President because of a powerful black woman who could affect the media in methods more far-reaching than most people would assume- There is a reason that 'ET' and other news magazines have adopted the nickname 'Lady O' for Oprah-it's like she doesn't want any woman to achieve as much as she has, so she stopped Hilary because race balance is more important to her than women because she as a woman has 'got hers' but as a black person she knows her race has been shortchanged, and electing a somewhat black man would somehow show progress more important by using a 'black man' more than one, particularly more qualified white woman? I am asking.
The powerful, billionaire OW used every method she had to help displace the front runner Hilary Clinton- who was very qualified and seemed, for a time, to be on the fast track to be the first female American president. Important to a nation, important to women's equality, but not as important as race to OW because she maybe didn't want a woman with qualification to surpass her own 'most powerful woman in the US' status? Why would that be so? Why has she published at least 6 years of a magazine with her photo on the cover every damned month? I know O is a major philanthropic force and I am sure she does far more good than bad.
But did OW promote a 'black' man raised by white parents, pass him off as black, appeal to 'white guilt' we have (Thank God this is a Fleetwood Mac forum, I would feel very bad if many black people were to read it) and keep the qualified white woman out of office?
Not that I dislike the President. I don't understand how someone 2 or 3 years older than me can be president, however!
Internationally with his recent and unprecedented Asian and Indian blunders with more than hints that a US President appeared racist and arrogant while in countries the US was on good terms with, isn't it time to say Americans voted Obama president out of guilt at the horrible injustices black Americans have faced since forever?
Now, of course, life has not changed one bit since his election- not the economy, minority rights, health insurance issues, the ridiculous war?
I just wonder, is something more cynical or glossed-over going on right now, more so than in the last Bush administration? Or is it the same? I feel like Hilary Clinton would have said the right things in Asia and India, done something about health insurance for Americans without it and especially for education.
Why did she- and the country get screwed over for Obama? A nice man, but was it realistic that he (or maybe anyone?) could clean up the last 8 years before he got into office.
I am aware many Americans felt that Hilary had skeletons in her closet regarding financial dealings, but would she have been good for the country in 2008 in a way that Obama isn't?
I hope I don't seem racist myself, by criticizing Oprah's motives or bringing up the not important comment that Obama had white parents who raised him. I don't think of myself as racist, there are multiple races in my own family. I certainly don't think a white woman equals a better President based on white and woman, than black and man.
Well, I just felt like stretching myself a little here, you know, before I turn 100.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-04-2010 at 07:24 AM..