View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
is it possible to be a shrink without having your own values inform your work? that's an honest question, i'm not picking on you. i think about this a lot, and i really don't think it's possible to be nonjudgmental. it's possible to be a nonasshole, but i equate being nonjudgmetal with being overly permissive; if you don't pass any judgment on someone's behavior, doesn't that give them a free pass to do whatever? even if, instead of drawing the line between good behavior and bad behavior, you draw it between healthy behavior and unhealthy behavior, that's still a judgment call. so is the expectation that shrinks be nonjudgmental valid?
Believe me, my values do play a role in my work and I spend a lot of time examining them on my own and in clinical supervision. I remember writing a lengthy paper in graduate school, alllll about my values; where they originated and how they could impact my work. I don't think you're picking on me, Carrie. We've "known" each other for several years and I'm sure you know by now where my motivation comes from. Being a therapist does not mean that I sit in "non judgment" and give a pardon for ****ty behavior. Believe it or not, I am actually a confrontational therapist; meaning, I have no problem being reality based with my clients.

The term "non judgmental" can hold different meanings for everyone. The expectation for clinicians from the NASW Code of Ethics:

Social workers also should be aware of the impact on ethical decision making of their clients’ and their own personal values and cultural and religious beliefs and practices. They should be aware of any conflicts between personal and professional values and deal with them responsibly.

So, MY responsibility is to make sure that my biases, values, and judgments don't impact the client's treatment.

Is imnotafraid or anyone else on The Ledge bound by this? Of course not. I am not saying that imnotafraid is catty, but I thought that mentioning AW's outfit was mean spirited and I commented on that.

I need to stop commenting about this though, because I am sounding like I am speaking from waaay up on a high horse, and I don't want that. I do much better when I am *speaking*, rather than writing.