View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was "illume" released as a single? Did it top the charts? Did Rolling Stone magazine do backflips over the song? Did they make the cover of the magazine?

No, no, no, and...uhhh...NO! They got next to zero press on the release of SYW, other than a couple of well paid for placements on a couple of NBC dramas and one comedy, the album got next to zero airplay. That, to me, puts the "relevant" quotient at, uhhh...zero...none, nada.

I'm not saying that the songs themselves don't move the listener...I'm not saying that I dislike them, obviously, I LOVE Fleetwood Mac, or I wouldn't be HERE for the last umpteen years. I just seem to have a more realistic view of where they fit in today's world than apparently some do.

I'm saying that they're not even a blip on the radar of the music business anymore. Sure, they still can sell out arenas, but the same people are going tour after tour, show after show. And obviously some new 20 something fan has taken my place at their concerts because I can't afford their tickets anymore.

That said, the entire music biz's "relevance" has dropped like a rock off of the Empire State bldg. "Relevance" in today's market is: "Who's on American Idol?". Where are the "new Bob Dylans"? The "new Beatles"? The "new U2s"??? The "new Springsteens"?? (well, Bruce is still "relevant" so never mind that last one) There aren't any...the music biz is dying...in some cases already dead. And Fleetwood Mac was irrelevant LONG before its demise.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-24-2010 at 11:36 PM..