View Single Post
Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, that is a little surprise for me also. I supposed a lot of people would have difficulties in getting into the song Murrow because of the high singing and the guitar solo. And Come would be controversial too although I don`t regard it as weird- it's just a rocker and not typical FM (some people still expect soft pop and ballads and don't want anything different from the group) But I`m really surprised how many people don`t appreciate Red Rover. I am too wondering how one can not like it. It's great guitar playing and the beginning raising chorus line has this great and somehow ethereal far away sounding manipulated voice part. I really thought this track would be appreciated by a lot of critics and listeners but even here on the board it's the most anti- mentioned. Or especially here? I don't know, the tastes seem to be very different. But some mention, that they even think Silver girl is a better one... I mean really...!
I am too very surprised about the quite bad review average which the album achieved. At first I believed that these were just single opinions but now it seems nobody really praises it, some say not bad and some make a bad review. Btw how was this concerning Tusk? Anybody remembers that, then please info me.

I still believe that they did not a good job by creating this running order (regarding the broader public and some critics reaction)

I like the album, but I can hardly compare it to Tusk in terms of style. Tusk has rare instrumentation on LB's tracks and follow one certain direction. (I always skip Christines songs on Tusk, as they don't fit onto that regarding style and idea whereas Stevies songs built the fitting counterpart there) Here on SYW he covers several different styles and jumps from pop to weirdness with full instrumentation. So Tusk is stranger imo- Say you will probably has no guiding line or however you may call it, what some people irritates. I think some of the critics are right by stating that it feels like 2 solo albums put together.
Perhaps I say it because I knew the GOS stuff so well before (but not the Stevie songs) and perhaps they say it because they read some of Lindseys interviews before but I think it somehow is right and probably renders more difficulty in getting access to the flow of that album?