View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Chris, as an almost-famous man once said, We Just Disagree. I understand most of what you're saying, but I still don't think every single endeavor of Mick's is a coldly calculated profit venture. When I see him playing his drums with the MFBB, I see joy on his face. Maybe I'm naive, but I truly believe he does this because he loves that old music, and playing it again and again and again.

If the formation of a pure cash-cow oldies band was his only motive, don't you think he could have partnered up with someone a bit more high-profile than Rick Vito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
As for your question OldTimer as to whether the MFBB was put together for the reasons of making money, let me ask you a question back. If Fleetwood Mac is now consigned to history, what better way has Mick got to make money than trading on Peter Green's old songs?
I can imagine lots of easier ways for a 62-year-old to make money than traveling around Europe in a van, helping set up his own equipment, playing to small crowds, and repeating that night after night!

If FM were history, Mick's best commercial bet would be trading on McVie & Nicks & Buckingham songs, don't you think? I'm sure he could find a way to do so.

I also think it's unfair to compare his current work to Stevie and Lindsey's. They're songwriters; they can sit down, put pen to paper, and write a brand new song. Mick can't do that -- all he can do is provide the beat. Not the same opportunity.

Quote:
Last time I checked they weren't creating a random spin-off band or promoting random products.
Ouch, that smarts! , hearing the MFBB called a random spin-off band. Obviously I think they deserve more credit than that.

And as far as Mick's wine label, what could be more relevant to Mac history than alcohol? He seems to enjoy it, and what's wrong with that? Maybe that's how Kermit Lynch started (that's the only other wine merchant name I know, and that's only because of his connection to Rick ). It's cool with me.

Anyway, if you decide to export the Kimber Chips, please let me know. They might just go great with the Mick Fleetwood wine.

TrueFaith -- your post got me thinking:
Quote:
I would prefer an Island Rumours Band album to a MFBB album. The Visitor is one of the finest FM solo projects ever. An album inspired by the music of Hawaii would be perfect. I ACTUALLY think that would be a rather delightful approach to a new official Fleetwood Mac album as well (the commercial gods would bless this, Stevie!).
While I prefer the MFBB to the IRB, you got me thinking that the IRB, at least, was something closer to being 'outside the box', ala The Visitor. Your Hawaiian Stevie idea could have some legs. The IRB did a fun island-rhythm version of "Over My Head" -- it could be fun to see some of the other old songs re-interpereted with that style, too. Ain't gonna happen, but it could be fun. Does Christine ever visit Hawaii?