View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting the link -

for someone who was always more reserved concerning the second "comeback" period, i.e. with The Splinter Group, I have to say that I was stunned by the beauty of 'Albatross'

What a great performance - this number has always held tremendous importance to Green, they played at almost every show from mid-1969 until his leaving, and he often did a little intro before playing it attempting to convey to the audience just what it meant to him.

What I found so great with this performance is that he was able to rework the arrangement and for me, make it more powerful - it now has a more muscular feel, the number soars higher and glides more effortlessly than the earlier versions - even those with the Splinter Group -

The difference is he is no longer attempting to imitate what once was - he is creating something new - the same as he did when he covered an old blues standard in his days with Fleetwood Mac - the idea was not to duplicate the song, but to put his own stamp on it, without losing what made the original worth covering to begin with -

A truly inspired performance

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder