View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post
As much as I love FM and Lindsey, and am glad to have new material, this is dead-on.

My question is: Is anyone making a "mastering pass" at Lindsey's home-made recordings? Because that's where you would clean up a lot of the chintzy stuff that has made SOME of LB's recordings of the last few years sound like the Casio Kid. LB himself may not want this step, but take it from someone who has done a lot of demo work (amateur and professional): MANY of his recordings on UTS were demos, nothing more, and there were some glaring mastering errors that don't reflect artistic choice or musicality. And even the best musicians need some mastering work.

Tusk was very loose and organic, and I appreciate that. The easy availability of electronic drums and click tracks wasn't as prevalent back then.

I expect it to hear many of these same issues on GOS, since much of it is "home-made" as well. Biggest question in my mind has always been how the metronome ended up on some of the SYW tracks since they went through mixdown? I found that embarrassing for the band, actually. A lot of my engineer friends made tremendous fun of that record, and wondered if since it was analog to start with that the click got on the tapes somehow and couldn't be wiped out.

With all that said: Musicality is indeed in "the ear of the beholder." If it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you. No big whoop. As a pop craftsman and player, I agree LB's a genius and I expect to love these songs. I just think he's overrated in the studio and should put more stock in equally gifted mixers.

~Jamie
Yay! Someone who agrees with me!

He should have Moncrieff do the mixing and mastering, he's vastly better at it than Mark Needham. Plus, Moncrieff got on my case if I had printed compression, even though it was needed to keep Alex's voice from distorting with all the gear turned down (that girl has some lungs!!!). He said he'd kill my pets if I blended my rhythm and leads again. There's no way he'd let Lindsey get away with this metronome crap. I'm really surprised that he is doing some of this stuff. I mean, the guy really needs to learn how to use his DAW. Real men read instructions.