View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511 View Post
However probably not the same ones that are important to me (which is why there are multiple parties in the USA)
That's possible. But, then again, maybe there are many issues we feel the same about. National security is a concern of mine -- and I find it laughable when folks act like Republicans are the only ones who can adequately protect our country.

Seriously, a Democrat isn't going to be lax on an issue like that either. Most especially not after 9/11.

Quote:
Actually the LCR's are very specific about the candidates they endorse.. they seek inclusive candidates mostly (Olympia Snowe, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc..) Or at least those candidates who don't seem to have an "agenda" against the LGBT community. I do think it is possible to not be for gay marriage yet not hate us either.
Yes, there are Republican politicians who support gay rights -- and I'm always pleased to see that. Unfortunately though, the majority of people who vote Republican are also voting for the politicians who actively work against us. Obviously, or they'd never make it into office.

Quote:
I’ve long believed that the government should remain neutral on gay issues, neither discriminating against us nor offering us preferential treatment. Many gay activists, however, insist politicians reach out to us and identify us by name.
If we were treated as equals, it would be a different story. But we have a long way to go. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not asking for preferential treatment. I want no more rights than what my brother has as a straight man.

He could meet a girl tonight, get married tomorrow, and it would be recognized and accepted in every single state in this country. They can file jointly on their income tax forms, they can share health benefits and insurance, etc.

Meanwhile, I've been with the same man for almost four years now, and we have none of those rights. Yet I pay taxes just like my brother does. I vote, I contribute to the economy, and so forth.

I guess I just don't see how that's fair, but I want to make it clear that I don't necessarily feel we need a stake in "marriage." It's really just a word, and the other little kiddies can keep their monopoly on it if they wish. Just so long as we're granted civil unions that provide us an equal amount of rights and protection.