View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I don't like Neil Young's music that much either, but I would never call his songs "cheesy." Britney/Miley/Fergie songs are "cheesy."

I just got the best of the Johnny Cash show on DVD, and there was a clip of Neil playing "The Needle and the Damage Done." It was pretty apparent that he played guitar well in 1969, so...

As far as Nirvana goes, they were hugely popular & predicted to be THE band (along with Pearl Jam) that would be remembered as having changed the music scene long before Kurt died. Yes, his death brought more fame but it's certainly not the reason for their success.
Okay, I was referring to "Rockin' in the Free World" and the Farm Aid stuff as cheesy, not the man's ENTIRE body of work. "The Needle and the Damage Done" is what I would call average guitar playing, from my point of view. It is a powerful song and I wish people would write more like that now. From someone else's, it might be incredible guitar playing.

The thing about Pearl Jam and Nirvana is fine, except look at where Pearl Jam is now. They're already another Live or some other forgotten band and they aren't on "best guitarist" lists anywhere. They are exactly where Nirvana would be now, except that Kurt Cobain died, so now he's the "greatest". Nirvana basically defined a two year period between 1991 and 1992, music drifted a long way from that towards the end of the decade. After grunge, we got post-grunge, like Matchbox Twenty, Fastball and the Goo Goo Dolls, and also it was the beginning of this decade's R & B with TLC and Destiny's Child. We also had a lot of anti-commercial stuff like the New Radicals, Offspring, Blink-182, Stroke-9, Harvey Danger, Lit, and a lot of power pop like Natalie Imruglia, Vonda Shepard, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, etc. Jam bands also became popular like Dave Matthews, the Spin Doctors, and Blues Traveler. It was also the decade of the angry white female, with Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos and heck even the Spice Girls. We also saw the boy band era with NKTB, the BSB, N'Sync, Youngstown and even the Meaty Cheesy Boys. LOL! Not to mention, it was also the era of the comeback with the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and anyone remember "Smooth" with Santana and Rob Thomas? We also had the angry poets like Smashing Pumpkins. There were also just plain great rock bands like Stone Temple Pilots, RHCP, Alice in Chains and many others. You can't really say that Nirvana defined the 90's because the sheer diversity of 90's music rivals only the 1960's. The majority of the 90's sound owes more to REM than it does Nirvana. Whereas in the 80's and today, your choices are pretty homogenous with what gets major label sponsorship.

Also, everyone kept saying how great Neil Young's playing was and I asked for a few songs that REALLY show his guitar skills and no one could give me one?!

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-24-2008 at 12:12 PM..