View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
As for the rest of the world hating America - I have been abroad pretty much every year since 9/11 and very few that I spoke to hated America. Many hated Bush though. I also think it is interesting that people say they hate America, but then bitch and complain when America does not provide them with relief from natural disasters and the like; America almost always leads the way in these situations.
I've lived in countries that aren't the US every year since I was born and most don't hate Americans, I'm very friendly with a few myself but whenever people ask them where they're from they have their standard joke response "I'm American, but nobody's perfect". If you think much of the world does not hate America then you must have forgotten about sept 11 already and thats just one giant example instead of pointing out the continued hatred that does not make the news daily. I think people have a right to complain if america does not provide relief. Like I'd be making a stand if the countries I'm from didn't contribute. Maybe that's why they might hate america, if there ignored by them and don't receive relief. Anyway I don't think they lead the world. America is last or near last on the list of western countries foreign aid. They give a lot but you can't expect a country of 6 million to match the contribution of America. If you look at the statistics america is far below the world leaders, I think last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
In the end, America is flawed and has done some bad things, but it is still the undisputed leader of the free world, the world turns to it for money and guidance, and it provides relief for many nations. I think that pisses people off.
yeah sure that's what pisses people off. that is such a naive view of the world. I think there's a little more too it than that. It's like saying the arab nations of the mimddle east are just jealous cause israel has more friends....and a better night club scene. jeez. believe what you want its not even an opinion its a fact that that is not why a lot of world hates america.