View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Why is Thrown Down a leak vs other GOS songs?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffs
Who even stole the GOS songs from Lindsey? How do these things get from the cave where he does his work out to the internet. There must be a precious few who are close enough to work with him and hear his work when he is recording and writing it is hard to imagine that LB wouldn't have either intentionally leaked GOS or he has some really bad acquantences!
I'm sorry but I have to jump in here. The "Screws" tracks -- in fact, the "Screws" album, as it stood at one point (it went through a bunch of permutations) -- were not stolen from Lindsey. The album was sent to David Kahne before it was mastered. Kahne was head of a big record label & had many pals in the business, some of whom are well-known to all of us & who got copies of the album. There was a certain amount of excitement about the album among several producers & other artists; I think Lindsey still interests people like Matthew Sweet & others we've all heard about.

Reprise had a couple of changings of the guards, & Lindsey's work in progress didn't have quite the support it had previously with guys like Howie Klein. Lindsey aborted the project as a solo project, & the album just sort of continued to float downstream, pleasing some people. It was posted to the Web when it became final that it would never see the light of day as an official release. I think that's a lot different from being literally stolen---yes, it's a breach of copyright, etc. etc., but maybe Lindsey will understand 20 years from now that his fans didn't mean any harm. They just wanted to hear his long-awaited album. I think that probably almost all recording artists occasionally see their work distributed prematurely, particularly now that the Internet makes it so efficient & fast.

As for "Thrown Down" being a deliberate leak from the label, that seems really weird to me. If you wanted to stir up some interest online for a new album on your label, wouldn't you leak parts of things, or leak something a week or two or even three before the release? I can't imagine the thinking behind leaking something four or five months before the album release---enthusiasm among the casual listeners doesn't have that sort of shelf life, does it?