View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
So, because his kids may also see stuff about Daddy on the internet, that justifies her writing in detail about LB trying to strangle her?

If she "loved him so deeply" and they had this fabulous seven year romance, where is her loyalty? Where is all the devotion she writes about so much in her book? I dated someone for seven years in College and post, and I still have maintain some level of loyalty to our old relationship. I do not feel the need to tell my husband all the sordid little details of what may or may not have went on in our PERSONAL relationship. I still feel protective towards what we shared. You keep comparing CA to Stevie and Lindsey's relationship, something not many of us in this thread have even done. I do think Lindsey's quotes on his relationship with CAH are relevant, even if you do not. HE SAID that only the first "year or two" with Cheri was any good, but yet stayed with her for almost a decade. HE SAID that he "allowed his relationship with CA to continue even though he knew it was doomed". HE SAID that the "spectre of Stevie disabled several long term relationships he had". (CAH and Cheri, presumably)
People like Ken Callait, who actually witnessed Carol and Lindsey together have said things like "I never thought that relationship was gonna work out. I have seen him with several women and they all ended very unhappily". You choose to believe CA's representation of her fairy tale romance with LB, but discount alot of other valid opinions, including Lindsey's own interpretation of the relationship. That makes no sense to me and is pretty ****ing appauling. I have nothing against the woman personally, but I think there are so many blatant falsehoods in her book, I have a hard time believing any of it. Christine, Stevie, Lindsey and Annie L. have all talked about what happened during the infamous Rolling Stone cover shoot and CA tells a completely different tale.

OT..but why is it necessary to bring up Stevie's alledged abortions in a discussion about CA? One or two people slam Carol, so slamming Stevie is the response? Apples and oranges.
Some of your criticisms are quite fair. I think there was a time when Carol Ann Harris loved Lindsey. But she perhaps grew to hate the Lindsey that abused her, the Lindsey that we have never known, the Lindsey on the combination of cocaine and alcohol. At first she merely feared him, and cowered from him in those moments. Still, it's her story to tell as a survivor of domestic abuse, her right to write about it. Again, we are free to take from it what we want. I believe they both not only survived, but changed. I really believe the end of the book shows that. I think Lindsey's new life shows where he is, too.

Everyone has their own slant on history. The Rolling Stone cover shoot minutiae differs, just as any group of individual historical records differ. Witnesses at crime scenes all differ in what they saw, what they heard, the timing of events. Particularly when they are events from long ago, or when they have their own slant to get across, their particular axe to grind. But the gestalt of what they were all saying about that shoot seems very close.

I'm looking at another piece of Fleetwood Mac history, the New Zealand show- around 1980?

Mick says: (My Life & Adventures in Fleetwood Mac, 1990, page 229)
"Then, while she was hunched over, upstage of Lindsey, during her "Rhiannon" performance, he stopped playing and pulled his jacket over his head in a grotesque imitation of her pose. At that ponit he lost all control, playing anything except "Rhiannon," laughing like a mad man. Then he started to kick Stevie while she was trying to salvage the number. Sixty thousand people were watching!

Stevie says: "Rolling Stone," October 30, 1997, Issue 772 by Fred Schruers
"Lindsey was angry - just mad at me," recalls Nicks. "That wasn't a one-time thing. Lindsey and I had another huge thing that happened onstage in New Zealand. We had some kind of a fight, and he came over - might have kicked me, did something to me, and we stopped the show. He went off, and we all ran at breakneck speed back to the dressing room to see who could kill him first. Christine got to him first, and then I got to him second - the bodyguards were trying to get in the middle of all of us."

Lindsey, in that same article says:
Without quite denying such incidents, Buckingham looks genuinely a bit puzzled to hear them played back. "What I do remember," he says, "is a show where I purposely sang much of the set out of tune. We got offstage, and everyone was irate, obviously. They were talking about firing me and getting Clapton. Very well founded, because it was not a professional thing to do."

Carol Ann wasn't there, but she was certainly a part of that group. She was friends with Sara who did witness it, friends with others that were in the band as well: Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac, 2007, page 285:
"He followed her around in grotesque imitation, intentionally playing the wrong parts on his solo guitar song after song. And then, before anyone could even try to stop him, he started kicking out at her with his heavy cowboy boots, doing his best to land blows on her unprotected legs--and when he did, the kick seemed to stun her.

The audience was also stunned, Sara said. Stevie frantically tried to stay away from him steel-toed cowboy boots and the whole show fell apart."

As recent as 2003 is Lindsey is taking responsibility publicly: "MOJO" (12/2003), Take it to the Limit, (The Penguin, BLA)
Buckingham can’t remember the events, but says, with bemusement: “Oh, I wouldn’t doubt that I mimicked Stevie on-stage. And kicked her? That could have happened too.”

It's a horrible drugged up, crazy history- the entire band has their demons. It's nothing Lindsey ever wanted to talk about. They may both still have a lot history to apologise for to each other in the future- maybe they have already done that.

Last edited by Tango; 07-08-2007 at 12:29 PM..