View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Using search I don't find any discussions about this instrumental and first solo album by Green in this forum. I just got a copy of it myself so can finally hear the whole thing as intended and find it very evocative of Africa. I was ready to be disappointed based on reviews I'd read over the years on sites other than this one but I think it will grow on me if anything. I also was able to hear four 1972 Reprise singles sides also evocative of Africa which may have made for a more favorable impression. It definitely took me somewhere.

I'm curious what others think of this album and this period of Green's playing. Why you do or don't like it. I think it's very successful artistically but understand it was a commercial failure in terms of expectations at the time following Oh Well and Green Manalishi etc.
I have always liked the album, from the moment it was released. I kind of compared it with Frank Zappa's "Chunga's Revenge" album.
Although it wasn't bluesy Green, it sure reflected the artists emotions. I was glad it was released later on CD as my vinyl took up a lot of scratches through the years.