Thread: The Upside
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tommer
i don't. did you expect them to be some kind of alchemists to make this album into gold? one fine song and a beautiful sleeve are not enough to sell a record apparently.

So you actually did like one song? Better than nothing.

he always seem to have an album down his sleeve.

That's because he did. No one is more frustrated than I at how slow he is to produce an album.

i listened to some better lyrics (than lindsey's contributions there) which were sung by britney spears.

Well, that speaks volumes, doesn't it?

guess is that you just say this in order to irritate, i give you enough credit knowing you are not foolish enough to really believe that.

OK, let's take the first part of that. Nothing I say on this board is intended to just irritate. That would be a waste of my time. I happen to be able to talk about this band without getting my knickers in a twist. When people say they don't like Lindsey's music, as you have, I simply shrug or, if you're funny about it, laugh. That's about all it's worth. I don't get irritated, unless someone clearly attacks me, which has happened. As far as I'm concerned, you can say whatever you want about the band and its members, and you will never irritate me.

As for whether I am "foolish enough to believe that" -- that being my assertion that Tango was successful in spite of Stevie -- I sincerely believe it. I have no doubt that the Stevie crowd rushed to the stores to buy the album because of her. However, when Big Love, Family Man, Little Lies and Everywhere became ubiquitous on the radio for about two years, I equally have no doubt that it had nothing to do with Stevie Nicks. (As I recall, Seven Wonders disappeared from the airwaves a few weeks after it was released, not to be played ever again with any regularity.) What it had to do with was flawlessly produced, well-written songs that caught the listening public's ear. Seven Wonders, and the other two Nicks contributions to that album, were among the worst of Stevie's songs that have been officially released. And much of that was because her voice was shot, though it has gotten better since. I am not trying to knock Stevie by saying that, (I believe she's admitted her voice wasn't at its best back then) nor am I telling anyone they shouldn't like said songs. I was agreeing with David, who made some excellent points.