View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Lindsey on the White Album

Monday Morning - Fun song! Lindsey sounds young in it to me. Of course, he was. lol

Blue Letter - this is a great rocker, I love it!! The studio version is terrific, but live is even better as Mick and Lindsey really get it going towards the end, and it's just them. Unlike World Turning (see below) I believe Mick going nuts really steps this song up! One of the few times I actually really appreciate his contribution to a song.

About the country - it's DEFINITELY there. The part that always stands out as country to me is the catch in his voice in these lines: "Do-ho I re-heed the message in your eyes? You-ho wahh-na love to stay another night..." Now, written out, it looks like it takes a long time, but listening, it's barely a breath - but that country voice catch there. I love it, you hear it all the time in country songs. You know, it's not all that easy to replicate if it doesn't come to you naturally. Turns out Lindsey may be a little bit country along with his awesome rock and roll (I was just reminded of a Donnie and Marie song there).

Side note: Stevie's song "After the Glitter Fades" is so country a country singer covered it, although I forget who. It's those last two notes that really settle it. That is trademark country ending twang.

Crystal - so beautiful, but the BN version is much better. His voice sounds more masculine on the BN version and I don't like the tail end of it on the FM version. I think everyone pretty much agrees this far outshines Stevie's Practical Magic version. In fact, I was sorry she even attempted it. Yeah, it's her song, but having Lindsey sing it works SO well. It's like when Stevie sang the Chain on one of her tours...I was like "No, Lindsey sings that!" lol

World Turning - Eh. I don't like this one much, although I suppose it's OK. I don't despise it or anything. However, the live vesion...Oh, so dull! Mick goes ON and ON and ON and ON and ON. Thank goodness they dropped that thing! The only person who should have solos that go on and on and on is you-know-who! lol No offense to the drummers on the Ledge.

I'm So Afraid - What can I say that hasn't already been said? The live version is my favorite FM/Lindsey song...really, my favorite song EVER, depending on my mood. It was what made me go and buy all of Lindsey's albums.

However, the high vocals on the studio version really take away its punch, and after hearing the live version first, the album version just sounds bereft with its shorter, faded guitar solo. (Since I listened to/watched The Dance before any of the other stuff, I'll admit I was sorely disappointed with the album versions of I'm So Afraid, Go Insane, and Big Love. Lindsey rocks so much harder live).

I really love the White Album! When I bought it (it was one of the first FM albums I bought, after Dance, GH, and Rumours) the guy selling it said, "This is a great album. Better than Rumours, in my opinion." I was like "Wow!" And indeed I do love it, although I don't think it supercedes Rumours, it's right behind it (excluding special albums like The Dance).

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-20-2002 at 12:49 PM..