View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Actually it's only in black and white a couple of times compared to the hundres of references condeming sex acts etc between heterosexuals.
True enough, but it is there.

Quote:
The people who use Leviticus as the anti-gay thing have taken it competely out of historical context.

AND they've chosen to heed only that passage. How is that NOT picking and choosing?
Leviticus isn't the only place where we're told about homosexuality ~ far from it, you say yourself, it's there a couple of times. It's there in the New Testament too.

Quote:
The letter I posted above clearly illustrates how yes, in fact, people ARE picking and chosing which parts of God's word to obey.
No, sorry, but that to me seems completely backwards. The letter you posted is taking Leviticus out of historical context. When God handed down his laws to Moses they were intended to draw his people together ~ and to be honest, many of them were based on common sense. When Jesus came to us he didn't throw the book out the window but he did oppose the way that those laws had been used. Everything had become about ritual and people had lost sight of the most important things ~ love and God.
So Jesus gave us a new commandment -- to love God, and to love one another. Homosexuality directly contradicts love for God, and if anyone wants me to explain why, I will.

Quote:
I believe what I believe, and I happen to think it's sinful for people to pass judgement on other based solely on who and how they love.
As I've said, it's the act we disagree with, not the person. Whether someone is homosexual or not to a large extent doesn't matter. Being homosexual is not wrong ~ it's the decision (THEIR decision) to act on it and engage in homosexual acts that is wrong.