View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
And yes, i am a huge Christine fan, almost as much as i am a stevie fan. but where stevie is a exciting performer and artist, christine is not. Back in the day she was brilliant, but now in the 2000's, stevie can still bring out an almost brilliant album (TISL), but christine failed miserably with ITMT

Im sorry if i offended any hardcore CM fans, but i thought a new members view on this might be insightfull
Good point. IMO, none of FM's members are very good as solo acts, except for Stevie. Why? Because she is, as you said, an exciting performer. Now before everyone jumps on my back and yells at me for hinting that Christine and Lindsey may not be exciting, let me continue.

When Stevie joined the band, although many critics tended to praise Christine as the "saving grace" of FM, saying she had a "golden throat" (*cough*) dismissing Stevie's voice as... well, less than pleasant to listen to, but focusing on her enchanting stage presence. Which she had then, and continues to have today. What's the first thing that comes to most people's mind when they hear the name Fleetwood Mac? Stevie! What's the first thing that they think of when they think of Stevie? Most likely her whirling and twirling shawls. Presence.

Christine? Doesn't do much on stage. She's behind her piano (with a green cup ), and I think she's more comfortable there. I read somewhere she said something to the effect that for her to go out and do what Stevie does would be difficult for her. She'd feel uncomfortable, and she was sure Stevie probably wouldn't want to be stuck behind a piano all night. So, therefore, I think if anything, the only presence she has is that she's doin' the piano thing. I think a lot of it has to do with personality, too. Christine says she's very shy, and more of a musician than a performer. I see Stevie as the exact opposite.

Lindsey, same thing. He's never spun around in a gossamer shawl (though I would love to see him try), or tried to build up any sort of image. Although he obviously stands out more than shy John, I don't think there's much about him-- aside from his skills--that would distinguish him from everyone else.

I like some of Lindsey's solo work, and some of Christine's, but I think, because they haven't built up this persona, they get shoved to the back. Looking at the success either of them had, in terms of how many records were sold and whatnot, how many people were interested in them as solo artists alone? How about Stevie's success?

I think they all just happen to work extremely well as a group. They may not get on all the time, but when they're working, something happens: good music. IMO that's the chain (I know, I'm getting a bit cheesy here. No, I haven't been drinking) that keeps them together.