Thread: pet advice?
View Single Post
  #18  
Old 10-26-2005, 03:47 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 17,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
I'm really sorry Homer. I agree more with your friends, but not completely. I understand what a hard decision this must be.

How has Cash handled all the treatments so far?
Like a trooper. He's exactly the same as he's always been. He was mad at me for awhile during the radiation treatments. But we play, every day still. In fact, he'll drive you crazy making you play for hours. He's the most playful dog I've ever seen. Never gets tired of chasing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
The only thing I worry about with pet illnesses is that the treatment/cure causes more pain and suffering than the condition itself. It doesn't sound like that's the case, but it does sound like he's been through a great deal already.
I know. Believe me, I start crying everytime I think about doing this to him. Basically, there's a price to be paid, if he wants to stay alive, and I want to keep him alive. I sure hope it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
If they take half of his jaw, would they replace it with some sort of internal prosthetic (minus teeth I assume) or series of rods? I'm having a hard time imagining how that would work while still allowing him to eat and play with toys.
No prosthesis. His tongue would most likely hang out one side of his mouth, and he'd have to learn to eat differently(most likely, just soft canned food from now on). BUT, like the vet said, it's no different than if he got hit by a car, and had to have a leg amputated. If it looks like he can have a reasonable quality of life, I guess you have to do what you have to do, in order to save him. It won't be a pretty face, but does that really matter?

I just got him home from the vet's. I had to wait until he come out of his anesthesia. He's beside me on the couch, completely out of it.
U of IL called my cell while I was waiting for him to "come to". I take Cash there again next Tuesday morning, along with his biopsy results(which should be back by Monday), for another bout of "cancer staging". THEN, the oncologist will decide (through CAT scans) if jaw removal will most likely save him or not. He said he might try something else(I can't remember what he said now), if it looked like jaw removal wouldn't get it.
Maybe I'm being selfish. I don't know. I'd do anything to keep him with me.

Lord, people and their pets!
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote